Monday, November 03, 2008

Sunday Survival

LaSeal Djonz' guide for Sunday survival for part-time librarians

1. Wear interesting, colorful, but not too outrageous (or dangerous) clothing.
2. Adopt a mascot (stuffed animal or hand puppet). If someone asks you why you’re carrying or wearing the mascot make up a line. “Mousy doesn’t get much attention, I’m giving her some.” or let the mascot speak for itself – you don’t have to be a ventriloquist. Caution: Don't extend this to invisible pals.
3. Adopt a persona -- one that is friendly, but not too off-putting. Act on your persona and keep it in mind for tough times. ("I’m really a princess in disguise.”)
4. Compose a library jingle. If you need inspiration, there’s probably some procedure that you should review or be more aware of. Better yet, turn it into a limerick or song.
5. Be a rover. Walk around the perimeter of the room during slow times (provided it’s okay with your desk colleague.) Occasionally take your shoes off and walk barefoot
6. Think of an odd topic and follow through (I want to find out about okra ) broaden it (eating, growing, commercial use,folklore etc.)–see what your collection has on it. You never know until you look for it. Isn't this what library research is all about?
7. Smile.

Years ago Sundays was made part of our schedule, like or lump it, and reference librarians were rostered other departments, i.e. Youth Services and General Collections.
I had always assumed that when I got to where I am now, (okay, at my age and situation) I wouldn't be working Sundays. I had to change my weekend activities, chiefly place of worship (most of the place of worship activities happened late Sunday mornings and afternoons) I wrote this to try to put things in perspective.

No comments: