Sunday, September 17, 2006

Salwar Kameez

Why do you wear Pakistani dress?(when you're not Pakistani, the questioner implied) I'd like to see the salwar kameez (three part costume (tunic=salwar, drawstring trousers=kameez and shawl=dupatta) become as internationally popular as blue jeans. When I need a lift, especially on Sundays when I work in the library, I like to wear salwar kameez, the pantsuit worn in India, Pakistan and other nearby countries. It's comfortable, feminine, adjustable and practical. I've bought several suits in local Indian fabric and sari shops for the price of a dress or separates at mall stores. Sometimes it's difficult to find a comparatively plain set, though they do exist. Draping the dupatta can be awkward at first, but try several styles until you are comfortable. Learn to tie a strong, but easily releaseable knot to keep the kameez in place. I'd like to see pockets in the kameez; this should be easy to do if you make your own. There are a number of patterns on the web -- you may need to look under belly dance costume.

No comments: