Monday, March 05, 2007

At last Thing 23!: In praise of Learning 2.0

What I've learned with Learning 2.0.

The journey's over? Definitely not! This has been just one rewarding segment of my lifelong learning experience. I only hope that future encounters with other new technologies will be just as rewarding. I can learn new things and maybe I can even create new learning tools!
All the same, I'm not one for being the first to adopt new technology. I still don't know (much) XML, don't have a digital camera, iPod or MP3 player (or television for that matter) I know that it's good to try things out, see if they work, and how they might be used in the future, consider the social consequences and if necessary, back off. I call this the Amish approach.

Going back in time (a long time?), I should have been more flexible about the learning issues around trouble shooting of computer printers. I protested I was a librarian not a technician (that was when contractors had the responsibility (and keys) for the xerox machines-- which I saw as a comparable technology) . My supervisor told me I had to be both.

Problem: Will I be given time in the future to make new discoveries? I hope so, and would definitely participate in similar programs. Were that all new technology as interesting and exciting.

Problem: Will we be able to incorporate wikis and blogs in our library website? I have a number of ideas, ranging from using a wiki to make a San Jose History Timeline for the California Room web pages to future blogs for book discussion groups to making subject specific pathfinders (squibo?) .

Kudos to Helene Blower for starting Learning 2.0 at PLCMC.
There's still plenty to learn! In my bloglines yesterday (via Shifted Librarian) I was excited to see Sam Wallin's Library 2.0 in 15 minutes a day wiki-in-progress, which includes some excellent introductory material on blogs and sections on social networking.
A wheel may not need reinventing, but there's always refinement needed to make it better.
Library technology like wheels, needs to be adaptable and squeeky wheels sometimes provide the best inspiration!

3 comments:

Virtual Services Team said...

Congratulations! You've finished the 23 things. Thanks for the feedback and keep up the good work.

Sam Wallin said...

Hi, I'm glad you like the "Library 2.0 in 15 minutes a day" wiki. I keep working on it, and people seem to like it, so that's good. How are your 2.0 adventures coming, now that you're done with the program?

Sam Wallin said...

Hmmm. I seem to be posting as my alter ego, Crash Solo, today.

My regular "library" blog is at http://supercrazylibrarianguy.wordpress.com/