Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Book versions: e- and digital audio- (Thing 22)

Thanks to e-book subscriptions, some titles that always go missing will remain in our library collections, provided that the library(s) continue to subscribe. Yes, as long as there's hard copy copies of ASVAB they'll never disappear, and ditto for Nolo titles (why do military examinations and do-it-yourself law books go missing anyway! What does that say about our society?) I love Project Gutenberg and it's great that they've got audios now. However, considering that I don't have a digital audio player or a portable e-reader, I don't expect to use these sites much.
If I had an MP3, or something similar I'd download the Pimsleur language series for modern Greek -- maybe even Vietnamese. Years ago I checked out the Pimsleur German cassettes before going to Berlin. When I got there and walked along the Schillerstrauss, I felt I was in a familiar place, since Vo ist der Schillerstrauss? was one of the pattern questions. I highly recommend the Pimsleur series; they give a good introduction to the spoken language.

1 comment:

Virtual Services Team said...

I haven't used the Pimsleur series but one of my neighbors was thrilled they were available for download. I guess I should try it out!