Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Writely Google: Thing 18


I started with Writely. Our home printer died and Dr. Djonz has procrastinated getting a new one. So with no computer at home, what am I going to do about book reviews, applications, papers, and other works that need revising, and printing at different terminals? I didn't think about flash drives then, and floppies were too cumbersome. I signed on to Writely, now Google Docs and and Spreadsheets. Great solution! I've had a few problems with font manipulation when transferring text, but so far no loss of text -- and I can go back and check earlier drafts. And, if I work on a project with some one, we can easily edit each others work.
At the library, we can now have an alternatives to loaner discs -- "Save to Google Docs". When asked whether we have Excel loaded on the PCs, we can offer the spreadsheet part of Google Docs.
I have a Zoho writer account, but haven't explored it much. I'm writely hooked or should I say hooked on Google Docs.
Beware of ampersands! Blogger doesn't like them.

1 comment:

Virtual Services Team said...

Great uses for these online services! Thanks for the ideas too.