Monday, January 31, 2011

First class: Introduction to Counseling and Guidance

I feel hopeful. Quite a few other classmates are also Open University students. Dr. Beach also teaches the Thesis writing course for Counselor Education. She passed out the course outline (greensheet) and reviewed the projects and objectives. My impression is that this course is doable -- I'll need to put in a lot of work, but there will also be guidance --the class is listed as a seminar, not a lecture. .
The ice breaker this evening was based on the Smalley and Trent Personality Inventory. We were asked to describe ourselves according to characteristics of animal categories: Lion, Otter, Golden Labrador and Beaver. I put myself in the middle, but definitely crossing the Golden Lab/Beaver axis. I'm definitely not a Lion (leader) nor am I a Beaver. There were two columns of descriptive words for each of the four categories and I found that I seemed to choose traits in the right hand column of each category. Traits that I chose Adventurous, stong willed , independent, self-reliant, enjoys challenges (Lion traits), Likes variety, enjoys change, creative, new ideas, optimistic (Otter); Adaptable, Sympathetic, Thoughtful, Nurturing , Patient, Tolerant, Good listener (Golden Lab) and discerning, analytical, inquisitive (Beaver)

No comments: