Monday, February 14, 2011

Research project proposal: Problem and purpose statements

This evening Dr. Beach and I met to discuss the problem and purpose statements of my research project proposal. This research project is worth 50% of my grading for the class, and my mind has gone in circles. In a previous class, she encouraged us to choose something that we were passionate about, or caught our interest. I thought about the Human Library, a program that uses the library model for cross-cultural communication. Dr. Beach was encouraging -- keep it simple. In the last week I've found review articles on prejudice and stereotype reduction, made a RefWorks citation file and downloaded a number of articles on my Nook. I've been feeling overwhelmed. I'm used to writing short reports and book reviews. Her suggestions was to see this project as a series of short items.
She mentioned that the majority of students who do this course full time, do it in two years and that this reasearch proposal is expanded as a final research project. She confirmed that the focus of EDCO 215 is practical and hands-on.
So here are my statements: I expect they will be worked over and expanded.

Problem statement: There are few places where people can intentionally meet one on one to dialogue with a person of another ethnic group, nationality, belief, race or sexual orientation.

Purpose statement:The purpose of this study is to investigate the "Human Library" as a way for individuals to explore differences between and similarities among people of different cultures, nationalities, races, sexual orientations or beliefs.

No comments: