Monday, February 07, 2011

Second class: Introduction to Counseling

At this evening's EDCO 215 class, Dr. Beach very briefly categorized 6 schools of psychology: Analytical, Behavioristic, Cognitive, Humanistic, Gestalt and Multicultural therapy (MCT). I had expected a more lengthly introduction, though we'll be going over some of these at a later date. I'm surprised that MCT was considered a school -- from my reading it seems an eclectic approach. I want to read more --on Thursday this week I briefly explored narrative psychology, learned the difference between social constructionism and social constructivism and found that empirically supported research is about the same as evidence-based research.
Tonight as exercises we listed characteristics of a counselor, discussed Nystul's counseling as an art and science, had our first role play (reflective listening) and an outline of historical trends in psychology that Dr. Beach felt was important. I was paired up with Daisy who already works as a counselor in Watsonville -- this experience wasn't new for both of us, but it was the first for some in the class. I shared with Daisy about my concerns going back to school after these many years, and she was a good supportive listener.
Some pearls from Dr. Beach:
On an average counseling does work 79% (should have asked her source). Remember, it's not about me, (focus on the client) Ask a question then repeat 1 hippopotamus, 2 hippopotamus, 3 hippopotamus (wait for the counselee to respond. )

No comments: