Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Counseling as an art and science:notes on the class so far

Counseling as an art and a science is the textbook's theme; each chapter begins with a short discussion of how this applies to the chapter's subject and Dr. Beach reviews this at the beginning of each class. I haven't paid this subject much attention, but I now realize that it's important to think not either or, but both and.
Last night's chapter review led to a realization that Nystul is building his ideas consistently, introducing new ideas necessary for the understanding of the next chapter in the previous chapter. I've purposely tried not to skip ahead in the book, except for looking for references to topics that might be helpful for my research paper.
I'm still anxious about this project, though I'm taking things little by little -- last night I discussed my topic and thoughts so far with Dr. Beach and the class and felt that so far I was on the right track -- though I might be a bit behind and there's still a ways to go. The challenge now is to make good use of my time. I have a problem statement and a purpose statement, I've found references, I've drafted an intervention. My next steps are to craft a literature review from points in articles that look promising. I've crafted over 100 short book reviews for Library Journal, so I'll try approaching each section as a short review writing exercise . I remember how nervous and anxious I was during training for telephone counseling many years ago, and how worried I was in advance of leading book reviews the first few times. If I could manage the anxiety then, I should be able to get to a point eventually where writing papers won't be as stressful. There's always room for improvement. This is a learning exercise. Ahead are days of writing. Go to it!

No comments: