Saturday, March 19, 2011

Three Approaches to Psychotherapy

I watched the Gloria ‘Three Approaches to Psychotherapy’, films for the first time and wonder how I would have reacted if I'd seen the films when I was studying psychology at Sydney University. The films demonstrate the different approaches of client-centered, gestalt and rational-emotive therapies as practiced by their 'originators -- Carl Rogers, Fritz Perls and Albert Ellis. I was certainly aware of these approaches. I wrote a paper on Prescott Lecky's theory of self-consistency and how it related to Carl Rogers' self theory,. Gestalt therapy was in vogue, though I thought it rather scary, and Albert Ellis' RET seemed a good way to justify any behavior; after all Ellis wrote Sex without guilt. The obvious question is "Was Gloria influenced by the therapy that went before?" Certainly, all three therapists stepped in and demonstrated their mode of therapy from the start. Different issues were brought up, but Gloria's divorce, dating issues and relationship with her daughter came through. I wonder about the order of the interviews. Would Gloria have continued if Perls or Ellis had been first?

No comments: