Monday, March 07, 2011

Research proposal: Starting over?

What was I doing? Last week I spent almost 18 hours reading and summarizing research relating to my assignment, or so I thought. Now, after re-reading the sample paper, I realize that taking notes online, paraphrasing sections and stringing them together do not a research paper make. I have a deficit in this area -- well I knew it wasn't going to be easy, but somehow I thought I was (bouyed by prayer and good wishes) going to work through this dispassionately and get a sensible paper out. Now I realize that this paper won't get many marks, but I need to persevere nonetheless if I'm going to get any credit for this. Two weeks and I need to submit the paper in APA 6 format. Yes, it's a learning exercise but I'm a slow learner and I don't like admitting it.Panic again. Okay, step by step, but I'm behind in writing a research paper. Yes, this is to be expected after not taking classes for almost threescore years.

Meanwhile I'm fascinated by these assumptions of Adlerian Therapy (Sadhu & Aspy 1997) p. 80

1. Counseling involves teaching clients better ways to meet the challenge of life tasks.
2. Past experiences influence people, but do not mold them.
3. Clients have the capacity to influence and create events.
4. The critical issue for clients is what they make of their endowments.
5. Clients create a unique lifestyle that helps them explain their patterns of behavior.

There's enough in the above to get me sidetracked.

No comments: