Saturday, April 09, 2011

Marriage and family counseling

Marriage and family counseling seems out of place in this Introduction to (Educational) Counseling and Guidance class, but this is an introduction -- and couples and relationships are part of counseling and guidance.
My experience has been with counseling individuals, so group counseling is a new learning experience.
My own experience of couples counseling didn't seem helpful at the time. Looking back, I had unrealistic expectations, Dr. Djonz was reluctant, and after a few years off and on, the counselor told us to work things out ourselves -- which we have.
Recently I've been rereading "The Silicon Syndromw: How to Survive a High Tech Relationship" by Jean Hollands (1983, which a friend gave me a few years after we married. A long time ago, but some things haven't changed.

No comments: