Monday, April 25, 2011

Stress and performance -- the home stretch

Thursday I went to Stanford University to be screened to participate as a volunteer research subject in a study on the relationship between excess body fat and risk for weight-related health problems such as diabetes. The screening was a glucose tolerance test. I had to fast for twelve hours, then my blood levels were monitored before and after taking a glucose drink. In all the screening lasted four hours. They provided a box lunch and I took the bus back and went to work. I'm a blood donor and have had basic fasting tests. I hadn't realized the session would take four hours, but I took along plenty of things to read, including my textbook.

I wasn't feeling the brightest during or after the screening. It didn't help that things were disorganized at work and a message I'd left hadn't been received. A colleague who has a family history of diabetes told me that such tests often take a toll on the body and mind. Maybe I'm crazy to participate, but it seemed like an opportunity to learn my risks for diabetes and heart disease.

I also hadn't realized the extent to which the situation of the coming year's city budget is affecting morale. Last year colleagues who had ten years service were given layoff notices. I have some seniority and expect to keep my job, though may change. Whatever happens, many of my colleagues will get notices on Wednesday, there will be reorganization (I may get moved to another library), and certainly there will be salary reductions.

Too make things worse, I have plants to transplant into the garden, a messy house and possible guests coming this weekend. Keep on, Keep on going.

No comments: