Tuesday, April 26, 2011

School Counseling

I don't remember much about school counselors when I was in elementary school. (I do remember taking I.Q. tests.) From reading the historical section on Nystul's chapter on school counseling, I can understand why he summarizes the chapter beginning "School counseling is a dynamic and challenging field." There have been developments, changes, standards, models and a lot of legislative and bureaucratic issues. School counseling is changing direction in almost the same way as library work, becoming more proactive (rather than reactive) in involvement and image building activities.
I don't have any experience with school counseling and will need to do some internships or volunteer work to learn more before deciding whether to pursue this path.

No comments: