Saturday, April 09, 2011

Research Paper Proposal returned

My research paper proposal was returned on Monday. I got 46/50, not bad, actually, very good. So what was the fuss about? My inner voice says it wasn't a real research project, but a proposal, an exercise in writing. Okay, I got through it, I finished it, I'm doing university graduate work. This was an project that I didn't have to get everything right. If this was to continue as my research in this course (which it may), I'd be taking two more classes with Dr. Beach and I expect that we would be examining everything in fine detail.
When I studied at Sydney University we didn't get rubrics with details on how papers and work are graded. According to the rubric that Dr. Beach provided, I got maximum points (excellent) for abstract, problem/purpose statement, intervention and research design, discussion and project evaluation, APA general(fewer than 10 errors), In-text citations, references, transitions, "I" use, 15-20 pages.
I got competent for literature review and below standard for use of theory (I'll need to discuss that last one with Dr. Beach -- she asked if she missed it and I think she did -- unless she doesn't accept the intergroup contact theory as a theoretical framework for this purpose.)

No comments: